Custom Search

How to Choose a Ladder Rack for Your Truck

Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009


As with many car and truck accessories, there are many different ladder racks to choose from. A ladder rack can vary from one brand to another, and each model or style has subtle differences.

The reason for all these differences is, of course, that people need ladder racks for different reasons. So what ladder rack will fit your needs best?

Heavy Duty Construction vs. Lightweight Construction
Ladder racks that feature lightweight construction are not necessarily less strong, however -- technology has enabled manufacturers to produce lighter-weight racks with comparable load capacities in order to facilitate easier setup, particularly on quick-setup racks.

The type of construction you should choose depends on how you intend to use your ladder rack. If you plan to buy a rack system that can be dismantled when you don’t need it, and you anticipate setting up and taking down the rack frequently, you will probably benefit most from a lightweight rack that is easier to handle. However, if you intend to set your rack up once and never take it down, and you plan on carrying heavy loads, you will want to ignore the rack’s weight altogether and focus your attention instead at the load capacity for each rack you are considering.

Corrosion-Resistant Racks
Even a rack that is only used for short periods and is taken down afterward is susceptible to rust -- if it rains while you are using it or while the rack is stored in the bed, water can get trapped in the little joints and crevices, and over time cause the rack to rust.
If your rack starts to rust, its ability to bear a load is compromised, and you will have to get a new one.

Permanent vs. Temporary or Quick Installation
Ladder racks now offer a variety of choices for setup. If you don’t plan on taking down your ladder rack once it has been installed, a permanent installation will be ideal for you. Permanent installations are more secure, and may offer greater load bearing capacity and reliability than temporary or quick installation racks.

Overhead vs. Side Ladder Racks
There are many different models of ladder racks, but there are two basic kinds of styles: overhead racks, which enable you to carry a ladder or lumber horizontally above the truck’s cab and bed, and side racks, which are ideal for smaller loads.

Overhead racks can carry the largest loads, but they are also heavier, more cumbersome, and often require a more permanent installation. Side ladder racks can be installed more quickly, often feature quick installation to allow you to dismantle them when you no longer need them, and are lighter and easier to carry and set up.

Choosing the Best Ladder Rack

A Lovely Wife, Interests in Sports and a Ladder Rack!
Last year I married my wife Jasmin and she convinced me to become more athletic. I haven’t played sports since I was 25. Of course I won a few competitions back then, but these were called “Beer Competitions” or “Burger Competitions” and the sport aspect is arguable. Now I am 32 and very lucky that my lovely wife helped make me more active and sporty. The beginning of my new sport passion was pretty tiring; I was not fit and after ten minutes I was not able to go on.

One reason for this fast improvement was the strict balanced diet I started following. Because I live in San Diego, one of my favorite sports is surfing of course. I know it is not the typical sport everyone loves, but if the people would learn more about this great sport, the public opinion would change. You can find the beautiful spots when you go more northern: endless rivers and huge camping areas around them that you will fall in love with at first sight. The best part of the kayak sport is the fact that you never know what will happen next.

So my wife and I decided to go out and buy own kayaks. Even if the name of this product does not say anything about the possible storage of kayaks, the ladder rack is able to handle it without any problems. I recognized that the ladder rack is built to last from rugged anodized aluminum and powder coated to seal against rust, corrosion and oxidation. So of course I tested my new lovely ladder rack instantly.

We went to a small river close to Denver with both kayaks on the rack and it worked perfectly. And if I ever decide to go snowboarding, I can easily put the boards on the rack. So follow my advice, play sports and store your stuff on ladder racks. It makes you happier, honestly!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...